Saturday, May 29, 2010

Because It's Always Time For Kenny Loggins

I don't think there was a greater musical period than the 1980s. To illustrate this I submitto you Kenny Loggins's second entry on 1985's Footloose soundtrack or as I like to call it: The Kevin Bacon one, not the Patrick Swayze one. But while the song is great I would like to call your attention to what the fuck is happening in the music video. I mean where is Kenny Loggins supposed to be? This is like what a Milwaukee mom pictures when you say 'Harlem'. Was it necessary to automatically go straight to 'quasi post-apocalyptic non threatening hellscape'? How did they accomplish making this set both not the least bit intimidating and give it the air of 'something fucked up has happened here and you are about to witness it again'?

Also what is with the girl? It's obvious she loves Kenny Loggins I mean who wouldn't love that rocking manicured beard? You can clearly see she's ran away from her parents to be with him. Or so I thought unitl I remember the begining where Kenny is looking for her. So why is he looking for her, is she kidnapped at some point by those broadway backups in leather? Why is she running away with him and ditching her parents, are they worse than living with the guy who wrote 'Highway to the Danger Zone'? Because I seriously doubt that.

Speaking of the leather crew I know no one, and I never will who is willing to stab you in the chest 27 times and defecate on you to leave a message that also had the time to put into eiht years of jazz tap and fosse. They and the fact that the police are deciding that 12 gauge shotguns are an appropriate response to a 'Kenny Loggins Clusterfuck in Progress' are the reasone I am fond of the videos just as much as the songs from the era of my childhood (also known as the era without irony).


No comments: